A BRIEF HISTORY

 

Sweet Gum Grove was organized the first Sunday in April of 1907. Rev. R. F. Pittman was the first pastor and services were held in an old school house. A one room structure was constructed by members and friends of the church. The new building, completed and free of debt, was dedicated during the first Sunday service in May of 1913.

 

The church has always had a positive influence in our community. From a simple one- room frame building on the present site, the church has grown to two buildings  and a membership of about 225.

 

In 2007 we celebrated 100 years of service and the church continues to grow and prosper in God’s name. The first ladies auxiliary started in 1915 and was followed by a second auxiliary for the ladies, a Laymen’s league, and a youth organization. All have been active and supportive of the church and its ministries.  During this period, the church has undergone changes and additions to the physical site. Some of the most noticeable changes and additions have been the construction of the baptistry, chandeliers in the church, a lighted steeple, and a picnic shelter. Three Sunday School rooms, two bathrooms, and the Pastor’s Study have been added to the right side of the church. In 1989 the community building was annexed by the church. In the recent years, the sanctuary has been repainted and had new carpet installed in 1999, the playground was erected, chandeliers with dimmer controls were installed in the community building, and the upstairs Sunday School room was converted into a teen center. In the last two years a live video feed has been established in the nursery, the large classroom downstairs and the community building so the services can be view from these locations. During the summer of 2015 a security system was installed in both the church and community building. In our desire to expand our outreach and increase our presence in the community, in 2017 the Church purchased a 15-Passenger Transport Van and an Electronic "Baby Grand" piano.   All were achieved by hard work and dedicated effort by church members and organizations and gifts of love by various families.  These efforts not only enable the church to grow, but bonds us closer together as a church family.

The purpose of this web site is to allow us to introduce ourselves and get to know one another better as a Christian family. May it be used to help us grow closer to each other and to the Lord.